Great news for New Yorkers. The Creators Project (a joint Intel and Vice initiative) launch event is free, and features live sets from Interpol, Mark Ronson, Die Antwoord, Neon Indian, The Rapture, Sleigh Bells, Gang Gang Dance, Salem, and “very special guests.” Plus, DJ sets from N.A.S.A., XXXChange, Lemonade, and Mira Calix. And plenty of interactive art, installations, and film screenings including Spike Jonzeâ€™s newest film, I’m Here.
RSVP here for the June 26 event at Milk Studios at 450 W. 15th St. Full details about the event are below.
In other Interpol news: Straight from the band:
We’d like to take a moment to introduce you to our new editions:
Two fresh faces who will be joining us live on our upcoming tours.
On Bass: Dave Pajo
Pajo has a vast body of work. He was the guitarist for Slint. He has recorded as Papa M and Ariel M. And he has worked with Tortoise, Will Oldham, Zwan, and numerous other artists. So, you know….do the math.
On Keys and Vox: Brandon Curtis
Curtis is a member of the Secret Machines. Enough said.
We are very excited and honored to be working with such talented individuals.
Come and see why.
Pajo replaces longtime Interpol bassist Carlos D. The band recently canceled several small-venue dates that they were set to play in between dates opening up for U2, after U2 canceled its tour.
Full details about The Creators Project event are below.
The Creators Project event seriesâ€”a roving global celebrationâ€”launches this summer on June 26, when The Creators rolls into 80,000-square-feet of display and performance space honeycombed throughout the legendary Milk Studios in New Yorkâ€™s Meatpacking District.
The event is going to be a groundbreaking combination of interactive art and installations, panels, workshops, screenings, and live performances. As much as The Creators Project is a digital archive of our digital world, it is also a testament to the enduring appeal of the Real. Many of the artists within the program explore the way that digitally manipulated images, sounds, and motions converge in real time, in real spaces.
Some things at the New York event you should watch out for…
• Londonâ€™s UVA (United Visual Artists) will be installing several works including their truly awe-inspiring and rarely viewed Triptych. Stay tuned to the Creators Blog for some exciting news around a customized installation of the piece.
• Nick Zinner, guitarist of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, will also be installing a major image and sound compositionâ€”new creative territory for Zinner, who has been obsessed with a particular style of documentary photography for well over a decade.
• There will also be several screenings and â€śperformancesâ€ť of Spike Jonzeâ€™s newest film, the robot love-story Iâ€™m Here, complete with a special interactive video booth where viewers will be given the chance to record messages about the film directly to Spike.
• Weâ€™re also preparing a global installation with the LA-based directorial duo Radical Friend. Stay tuned for more information on their epic vision as we near the New York launch date in June.
• LIVE MUSIC BY: Interpol, Mark Ronson, Die Antwoord, Neon Indian, The Rapture, Sleigh Bells, Gang Gang Dance, Salem, and Very Special Guests.
• DJ SETS BY: N.A.S.A., XXXChange, Lemonade, and Mira Calix.
• EXHIBITS: The Digital Flesh by Radical Friend, A Sculpture of the Album by xx, Triptych & Hereafter by United Visual Artists, My Secret Heart by Mira Calix, Rainbow Vomit by MOS Architects, Melter 2 by Takeshi Murata, A.D.A.B.A. by Nick Zinner, Cube by Muti Randolph, L.A.S.E.R. Tag by Graffiti Research Lab, O.S.S.I. by Hojun Song, Jetpack Baseball & NIDHOGG by Mark Essen, Frozen Event by Ricardo Carioba, and Shred Master Pro by Legs.
• FILMS: I’m Here by Spike Jonze, ODDSAC by Danny Perez and Animal Collective, A Room With A Cat by Peng Lei, The Face by Ray Lei, Pixels by Patrick Jean, Go Fast Connexion by Ladj Ly, and 3 films by Sun Haipeng.
• One last note: we will be inviting thousands to the New York launch. The event is FREE to the Creator community. That means you. Register here for your chance at free tickets.